Skip to main content

Praying for pee (take 2)

Well... We got no pee last night so they had to re-insert a catheter. They tried 4 times with no luck (probaly due to the fact that Mason was in so much pain and fighting it) so they gave him a higher dose of pain medication, waited for it to kick in and then they tried again... This time he sleep through the entire thing. Thank goodness.

Still praying for pee. If he does not go to the bathroom on his own by 10am they will have to re-insert the catheter again to drain his bladder. You might be wondering why they don't just leave it in and the reason is because it allows for a greater risk of infection and he could have an even harder time going on his own. So this mornings agenda is to pump him full of liquids - water, apple juice and chocolate milk and pray that he goes to the bathroom on his own.

In other news Mason is starting to act more like himself. He even told me at 4 am that my hair look pretty... I am sure in reality it actually looks crazy but it was very cute.

The plan today outside of peeing is to get Mason more active to drain out his chest tubes. Yesterday he sat up with his daddy and this significantly increased the drainage which is good however we need more movement with No drainage before we check out of here.

This surgery is so different from the last two. Not that I was expecting the same experience I was just expecting I guess something more similar and it has all been different. Let's clarify different in a good way.

I know I keep saying it but thank you for your prayers, love and support.

Kelsey

Comments

Wodzisz Family said…
Many pee prayers coming your way.

Popular posts from this blog

Making Progress

Greetings from Seattle Children's, We are happy to inform everyone that Mason is doing very well and has been moved out of ICU and over to, "the floor." This is a good sign that he is recovering on schedule and should be just a few days away from going home. He orginally had three or four I.V.'s in and is now down to one, which included the removal of the main one in his neck. Kelsey and I were looking forward to that one being removed. He still has two drainage tubes in his chest which we would like to have had out already but the Dr.'s are being cautious because he drained a little more blood than normal his first day after surgery. The plan is to have those taken out tomorrow which will make him feel even better. He is waking up on occasion but isn't quite up for smiling yet...understandably. Kelsey and I just want to hold him and make him feel better but unfortunately he seems to become more uncomfortable when we do, so we try not to be too selfi...

Welcome to HOLLAND

It was time to start collecting all of the information needed to schedule and prepare for Mason’s Fontan Surgery. So last Friday – Mason went in for his Cardiac Catheterization. (Defined below) Cardiac Catheterization (Heart Cath) is the insertation of a catheter into a chamber or Vessel of the heart. This is done for both investigational and intervention purposes. Subsets of this technique are mainly coronary catheterization, involving the catheterization of coronary arteries, and catheterization of cardiac cambers and valves. (Did you get all of that?!?!?) When we arrived at Seattle Children’s Hospital– Greg was busy checking us in and I sat with Mason in the Surgery Center waiting area. Mason and I talked, I kissed him, I played with him… I pulled out all the stops so that he would not remember that he hadn’t eaten in 12 hours and that he was at his least favorite place – Children’s Hospital. During some point of my “operation distract Mason” I noticed you staring at us from acr...

10 Years....

Mason, It is amazing how time passes by in the blink of an eye after you have kids…. It seems like just yesterday, yet this week, 10 years have passed since our life was turned upside down. The day our world took a turn we never saw coming. Each year leading up to the anniversary, I get anxious, emotional, sad, scared, and angry. I WISH 10 years later I felt differently. But I don’t. It almost feels just as raw as the day we were told…. This year. I am consciously recognizing what it is… MONDAY FEBRUARY 11 th ,2008. We sat in a room where a Doctor carefully articulated and explained to us about your special heart. There is one detail about this day I have seemed to forget in time. That is the name of the doctor who told us about our fate…. I could describe to you in details about anything else you might want to know, who was there, what we were wearing, what the Doctor himself looked like and the conversation we had. Yet his name, which used to be...