Skip to main content

Are you a FRY FAMILY?

My child like most enjoys food of the unhealthy variety. Since he is not like most children and at age 2 ½ we discuss things like his cholesterol and blood pressure we try to offer him heart healthy versions of the foods he does enjoy. (We try and make a normal situation out of un-normal circumstances)
So in search of these healthy alternatives Mason and I have been on a cooking quest… That is right I have been cooking up a storm with help of course from Mason.
Together we have been busy in the kitchen!
Since children really are the best critics I thought I would give you one of Mason’s favorite HEART HEALTHY FOOD ALTENATIVES!

So are you a Fry Family?
Cheese Fries
Ingredients:
-1 spray olive oil / cooking spray
-2 large uncooked Russet or Idaho potatoes (Peeled and cut into ¼ inch strips
-1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
-1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
½ cup low-fat shredded cheese (Cheddar, Colby and or a sharp variety)

Directions:
-Pre-Heat Oven to 400*F.
-Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray
-Arrange potatoes on prepared baking sheet; Season to taste with salt and pepper.
-Bake 20 minutes / Flip fries and bake until golden brown (estimated another 20 minutes)
-Cluster potatoes together on baking sheet and sprinkle with cheese; bake until cheese melts (about 5 minutes)

Note: This recipe is also great with out the cheese

ENJOY!

Kelsey and Mason!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Progress

Greetings from Seattle Children's, We are happy to inform everyone that Mason is doing very well and has been moved out of ICU and over to, "the floor." This is a good sign that he is recovering on schedule and should be just a few days away from going home. He orginally had three or four I.V.'s in and is now down to one, which included the removal of the main one in his neck. Kelsey and I were looking forward to that one being removed. He still has two drainage tubes in his chest which we would like to have had out already but the Dr.'s are being cautious because he drained a little more blood than normal his first day after surgery. The plan is to have those taken out tomorrow which will make him feel even better. He is waking up on occasion but isn't quite up for smiling yet...understandably. Kelsey and I just want to hold him and make him feel better but unfortunately he seems to become more uncomfortable when we do, so we try not to be too selfi...

Welcome to HOLLAND

It was time to start collecting all of the information needed to schedule and prepare for Mason’s Fontan Surgery. So last Friday – Mason went in for his Cardiac Catheterization. (Defined below) Cardiac Catheterization (Heart Cath) is the insertation of a catheter into a chamber or Vessel of the heart. This is done for both investigational and intervention purposes. Subsets of this technique are mainly coronary catheterization, involving the catheterization of coronary arteries, and catheterization of cardiac cambers and valves. (Did you get all of that?!?!?) When we arrived at Seattle Children’s Hospital– Greg was busy checking us in and I sat with Mason in the Surgery Center waiting area. Mason and I talked, I kissed him, I played with him… I pulled out all the stops so that he would not remember that he hadn’t eaten in 12 hours and that he was at his least favorite place – Children’s Hospital. During some point of my “operation distract Mason” I noticed you staring at us from acr...

10 Years....

Mason, It is amazing how time passes by in the blink of an eye after you have kids…. It seems like just yesterday, yet this week, 10 years have passed since our life was turned upside down. The day our world took a turn we never saw coming. Each year leading up to the anniversary, I get anxious, emotional, sad, scared, and angry. I WISH 10 years later I felt differently. But I don’t. It almost feels just as raw as the day we were told…. This year. I am consciously recognizing what it is… MONDAY FEBRUARY 11 th ,2008. We sat in a room where a Doctor carefully articulated and explained to us about your special heart. There is one detail about this day I have seemed to forget in time. That is the name of the doctor who told us about our fate…. I could describe to you in details about anything else you might want to know, who was there, what we were wearing, what the Doctor himself looked like and the conversation we had. Yet his name, which used to be...