It is officially fall in the Pacific NW!!!!
A morning walk with the one and only Mason Garka!
The weather has cooled. Football has started. The crockpot has been dusted off.
With each day that passes I get older and my aging pains increase (NO JOKE).
This is the primary reason we eat a Paleo diet.
Some of the food we test is okay. Some good. Others GREAT.
This crockpot recipe is a win for both my husband and I as well as our kids!
It falls into the GREAT category!
Beef Chunk Chili
2 tsp coconut oil
2.5 lbs beef chunk (stew meat). Cut into cubes. (We cut them into healthy size chunks)
2 red bell peppers. cubed.
1 onion. chopped.
28 oz chopped tomatoes.
1.5 cups beef broth
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cloves minced garlic
1 bay leaf
2.5 tbsp chili powder
3 tsp sea salt
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (use less if serving to kids)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (use less if serving to kids / more if you enjoy spice)
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- Place the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium / high heat; add the meat and brown on all sided (5-10ish minutes)
- Drain 1/2 of the fat from the meat. Place the remain fat anf the meat into your crockpot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the chocolate) and cook for 6 hours on low.
- A few minutes before you are ready to serve; stir in the chocolate
- Serve and eat it all... Well you will. It is THAT good! (Trust me. Kid tested - mother approved)
Prep time is about 10 minutes (browning the meat, chopping the veggies and measuring the spices) and as long as you have the seasoning it will cost you less than $15 and will serve a house full.
Last night we fed four kids and three adults with left overs for today!
I would say that fits in most families budgets for dinner.