Skip to main content

Where does the time go?

Mason is growing up to fast and well, becoming his “own” person with his very OWN opinions.
It has been absolutely the most rewarding thing to watch in my entire life!
I blinked this week and realized that I no longer had my little baby boy, but instead an active, talkative, toddler…
He is my child so this should be no surprise, however when I say talkative I mean talkative.
His language is his own and it is so adorable.
Here is a quick lesson of how to speak “Mason”:
- Te Te = Auntie
- GunKle = Uncle
- Bapo = Grandpa Garka
- ME = Mason
- Bapple = Apple
- Nana = Grandma Kelly / Banana
- Mine’s = Mine
- Grammy = Grandma Joyce
- Mommies Toy = iPad
- Daddies Toy = iPod touch
- Bobbie = Cousin Aubrie
- Fruck = Truck (This at times is embarrassing )

Mason’s vocabulary in the past 4-6 months has tripled and during his recent speech evaluation with his therapist he tested 5 months ahead! This is such an answered prayer!
When we first learned that the part of the brain affected by his stroke’s was the part that affects speech, we of course were concerned for the future. At the time is was to early to tell If he would learn to speak or what the total effect would be.

This is now just another miracle we have watched God play out in our son’s life!

Comments

Hi Kelsey,
Gracie rides at Little Bit in Woodinville (http://www.littlebit.org/). It is a wonderful program, I can't say enough good things about them! Hooray for Mason's speech evaluation :) Gracie had a 50% speech delay a year ago and now she is ahead in speech as well. It is amazing what these little ones can overcome!

Popular posts from this blog

Making Progress

Greetings from Seattle Children's, We are happy to inform everyone that Mason is doing very well and has been moved out of ICU and over to, "the floor." This is a good sign that he is recovering on schedule and should be just a few days away from going home. He orginally had three or four I.V.'s in and is now down to one, which included the removal of the main one in his neck. Kelsey and I were looking forward to that one being removed. He still has two drainage tubes in his chest which we would like to have had out already but the Dr.'s are being cautious because he drained a little more blood than normal his first day after surgery. The plan is to have those taken out tomorrow which will make him feel even better. He is waking up on occasion but isn't quite up for smiling yet...understandably. Kelsey and I just want to hold him and make him feel better but unfortunately he seems to become more uncomfortable when we do, so we try not to be too selfi...

Welcome to HOLLAND

It was time to start collecting all of the information needed to schedule and prepare for Mason’s Fontan Surgery. So last Friday – Mason went in for his Cardiac Catheterization. (Defined below) Cardiac Catheterization (Heart Cath) is the insertation of a catheter into a chamber or Vessel of the heart. This is done for both investigational and intervention purposes. Subsets of this technique are mainly coronary catheterization, involving the catheterization of coronary arteries, and catheterization of cardiac cambers and valves. (Did you get all of that?!?!?) When we arrived at Seattle Children’s Hospital– Greg was busy checking us in and I sat with Mason in the Surgery Center waiting area. Mason and I talked, I kissed him, I played with him… I pulled out all the stops so that he would not remember that he hadn’t eaten in 12 hours and that he was at his least favorite place – Children’s Hospital. During some point of my “operation distract Mason” I noticed you staring at us from acr...

10 Years....

Mason, It is amazing how time passes by in the blink of an eye after you have kids…. It seems like just yesterday, yet this week, 10 years have passed since our life was turned upside down. The day our world took a turn we never saw coming. Each year leading up to the anniversary, I get anxious, emotional, sad, scared, and angry. I WISH 10 years later I felt differently. But I don’t. It almost feels just as raw as the day we were told…. This year. I am consciously recognizing what it is… MONDAY FEBRUARY 11 th ,2008. We sat in a room where a Doctor carefully articulated and explained to us about your special heart. There is one detail about this day I have seemed to forget in time. That is the name of the doctor who told us about our fate…. I could describe to you in details about anything else you might want to know, who was there, what we were wearing, what the Doctor himself looked like and the conversation we had. Yet his name, which used to be...