Skip to main content

Reality

The day that our family became apart of the heartland is the day we entered a life full of grief.
It is the day that anxiety entered our life.
It is the day when we would no longer have a day filled without fear.

FEAR: We are a family of faith but we are still human.
We trust Jesus. We lean on Jesus. MOST importantly we believe and stand on the fact that Jesus is still in the healing business.
With all that being said just like a blink of an eye. Fear can creep in.... "What if its our son?"

This past week was National CHD Awareness Week.

What a great week. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all of the support through everyone WEARING RED!!!
(Pictures from Go Red for Mason coming soon)

Something else happened this past week.
Two children (that we knew) lost their battle with a CHD.
I point out that "we knew" because the unfortunate truth is there is more than likely even more children who lost their lives.

Finley lost his battle.
This hit incredibly close to home.
I know I mentioned this in my previous blog post but I still can not wrap my mind around this... Finley was post-Fontan. This family had hit the HLHS jackpot. Ideally this should mean "SMOOTH SAILING AHEAD".

It hits close to home because one minute these kids are fine, playing outside and the next they are critical and fighting for their life.
This is when I struggle. How can I not let fear creep in? "What if its our son?"

The reality of what we face is real, scary and unsettling. 
Children with HLHS under the age of 6 have a 60% survival rate. 
Picture your kids playing with their friends. There are 10 of them together. 
This statistic would mean four of those children will lose their life. 
THIS IS WHEN FEAR CREEPS IN "What if its our son". 

It truly is a race against modern medicine to ensure that we continue to "HAVE OPTIONS"!

If you have never attended a child's funeral consider yourself blessed. I wouldn't even know how to begin to describe the emotions. 
The only thing that actually comes to mind is John 11:35 JESUS WEPT





I can not miss the opportunity to THANK each and everyone of you for keeping Finley's Family in your thoughts and prayers. I can not even begin to imagine how to family is feeling or coping with this SIGNIFICANT loss.

His perfectly written obituary can be found by clicking here.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Progress

Greetings from Seattle Children's, We are happy to inform everyone that Mason is doing very well and has been moved out of ICU and over to, "the floor." This is a good sign that he is recovering on schedule and should be just a few days away from going home. He orginally had three or four I.V.'s in and is now down to one, which included the removal of the main one in his neck. Kelsey and I were looking forward to that one being removed. He still has two drainage tubes in his chest which we would like to have had out already but the Dr.'s are being cautious because he drained a little more blood than normal his first day after surgery. The plan is to have those taken out tomorrow which will make him feel even better. He is waking up on occasion but isn't quite up for smiling yet...understandably. Kelsey and I just want to hold him and make him feel better but unfortunately he seems to become more uncomfortable when we do, so we try not to be too selfi...

Welcome to HOLLAND

It was time to start collecting all of the information needed to schedule and prepare for Mason’s Fontan Surgery. So last Friday – Mason went in for his Cardiac Catheterization. (Defined below) Cardiac Catheterization (Heart Cath) is the insertation of a catheter into a chamber or Vessel of the heart. This is done for both investigational and intervention purposes. Subsets of this technique are mainly coronary catheterization, involving the catheterization of coronary arteries, and catheterization of cardiac cambers and valves. (Did you get all of that?!?!?) When we arrived at Seattle Children’s Hospital– Greg was busy checking us in and I sat with Mason in the Surgery Center waiting area. Mason and I talked, I kissed him, I played with him… I pulled out all the stops so that he would not remember that he hadn’t eaten in 12 hours and that he was at his least favorite place – Children’s Hospital. During some point of my “operation distract Mason” I noticed you staring at us from acr...

10 Years....

Mason, It is amazing how time passes by in the blink of an eye after you have kids…. It seems like just yesterday, yet this week, 10 years have passed since our life was turned upside down. The day our world took a turn we never saw coming. Each year leading up to the anniversary, I get anxious, emotional, sad, scared, and angry. I WISH 10 years later I felt differently. But I don’t. It almost feels just as raw as the day we were told…. This year. I am consciously recognizing what it is… MONDAY FEBRUARY 11 th ,2008. We sat in a room where a Doctor carefully articulated and explained to us about your special heart. There is one detail about this day I have seemed to forget in time. That is the name of the doctor who told us about our fate…. I could describe to you in details about anything else you might want to know, who was there, what we were wearing, what the Doctor himself looked like and the conversation we had. Yet his name, which used to be...