Skip to main content

OUR 100TH POST!

Welcome to our 100th post.
It has been almost 4 years since we started this blog. To be honest I feel like it was just yesterday.

My husband came up with the idea to start a blog so we could share with everyone about Mason’s condition. When he was diagnosed (prenatally) it was a very difficult time for both of us so it became our way to communicate with everyone behind closed doors as we dealt with our new reality. This way everyone we cared about stayed informed without having to ask us a million questions. At that time we were to “fragile” to answer them so it really was the perfect solution.

Since then it has become much more than just a place to get information about Mason (although during a season of surgery that is mostly what it is). I have used this blog to share my insights, perceptive and in a way it helped me find my way back. I also pray that it has helped other families going through or starting to deal with their new reality of facing a CHD.

This surgery will close a HEAVY chapter in our lives but it isn’t the end of our journey. We will continue to live everyday with a child who has a single ventricle heart and this will come with obstacles that we will not be able to predict. We are a strong family – and together… Greg, Mason and I we have been through a lot and since this is out 100th post we wanted to share with you all just how strong our miracle man is…

Mason and his Daddy before his transport to Children's Hospital


Our first family photo. This was also the only time I was able to hold Mason before his surgery.


Mason after his Norwood Surgery. They left his chest open for 3 days to help with swelling. During this time you could actually see his beating heart.

Recovering after his chest was closed

Heading home for the first time

Happy at home

Our amazing little boy!

6 months old and ready for his Glenn Surgery

After Surgery

Still not feeling 100%

Feeling better at home

Happy FIRST Birthday!

LIVING LIFE

Last but not least - His Fontan Surgery

This is it. When we check out of here there will be NO scheduled surgeries.
Talk about a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!!!

Comments

Christina said…
Its so funny...I can totally see Masons face and the looks only he pulls off...even in his newborn picture!
Esther said…
Hooray and amen! Praises be for Mason's strength and his faith based Mom and Dad. Such joy! The world is all the better for the family of Mason. We love you and smile as you work and live and play!
Unknown said…
Thanks for sharing this! I am so happy he is doing well and no surgeries schedule a true blessing.

Popular posts from this blog

Making Progress

Greetings from Seattle Children's, We are happy to inform everyone that Mason is doing very well and has been moved out of ICU and over to, "the floor." This is a good sign that he is recovering on schedule and should be just a few days away from going home. He orginally had three or four I.V.'s in and is now down to one, which included the removal of the main one in his neck. Kelsey and I were looking forward to that one being removed. He still has two drainage tubes in his chest which we would like to have had out already but the Dr.'s are being cautious because he drained a little more blood than normal his first day after surgery. The plan is to have those taken out tomorrow which will make him feel even better. He is waking up on occasion but isn't quite up for smiling yet...understandably. Kelsey and I just want to hold him and make him feel better but unfortunately he seems to become more uncomfortable when we do, so we try not to be too selfi...

Welcome to HOLLAND

It was time to start collecting all of the information needed to schedule and prepare for Mason’s Fontan Surgery. So last Friday – Mason went in for his Cardiac Catheterization. (Defined below) Cardiac Catheterization (Heart Cath) is the insertation of a catheter into a chamber or Vessel of the heart. This is done for both investigational and intervention purposes. Subsets of this technique are mainly coronary catheterization, involving the catheterization of coronary arteries, and catheterization of cardiac cambers and valves. (Did you get all of that?!?!?) When we arrived at Seattle Children’s Hospital– Greg was busy checking us in and I sat with Mason in the Surgery Center waiting area. Mason and I talked, I kissed him, I played with him… I pulled out all the stops so that he would not remember that he hadn’t eaten in 12 hours and that he was at his least favorite place – Children’s Hospital. During some point of my “operation distract Mason” I noticed you staring at us from acr...

10 Years....

Mason, It is amazing how time passes by in the blink of an eye after you have kids…. It seems like just yesterday, yet this week, 10 years have passed since our life was turned upside down. The day our world took a turn we never saw coming. Each year leading up to the anniversary, I get anxious, emotional, sad, scared, and angry. I WISH 10 years later I felt differently. But I don’t. It almost feels just as raw as the day we were told…. This year. I am consciously recognizing what it is… MONDAY FEBRUARY 11 th ,2008. We sat in a room where a Doctor carefully articulated and explained to us about your special heart. There is one detail about this day I have seemed to forget in time. That is the name of the doctor who told us about our fate…. I could describe to you in details about anything else you might want to know, who was there, what we were wearing, what the Doctor himself looked like and the conversation we had. Yet his name, which used to be...